September 11, 2011

Nine-Eleven


I was teaching at Jeff High School. First period prep.

I was wearing a mint-green Eddie Bauer sweater with khaki pants.

It was I-STEP Testing.

Mrs. Walker came to my room and said something terrible had happened to the World Trade Center.

I turned on my classroom television...

I left the television on in my classroom for the rest of the day, ignoring the demands from our school administration. 

I wanted to watch the coverage.

I wanted to see everything. 

I didn't want to miss anything.

I watched the second tower fall.  I watched coverage from the Pentagon and Pennsylvania.

Some of my students cried, while others could of cared less. 

The school day ended, I drove home to my husband of 9 months.  We hugged. I cried.  We stayed glued to the television, with my parents, for the rest of the night....and the next....and the next.

To this day, when the subject comes up, I want to know what people were doing, if they remember what they wearing..... 

I will never forget that day and I pray my children never witness a tragedy like Nine-Eleven.  

It's been ten years, but I remember it like yesterday.


photos by: worldpittsburgh.wordpress.com

1 comment:

Katie Alson said...

I was living with my parents, about to walk out the door for work. My mom had the news on and we saw the second plane hit. I don't remember what I was wearing. I was glued to the Internet all day and cried when a retired Marine at work said, "This means war." He sounded like he wanted to be on the front line.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails